Search This Blog

Saturday 16 May 2009

Scookies SOP

Why?
Off to Limerick this weekend for a birthday party at Joanne's. I decided to make some scookies and cookies...
The difference between my standard cookies and scookies, is that the larger amount of flour compared to butter leads to more lumpish things, where as the higher butter concentrations in the standard cookies lead to flat-dishlike things
Materials
  • 24 oz sugar (any type will do)
  • 12 oz butter (I believe it is salted, however I am not certain and making cookies in America confused me...)
  • 36 oz flour
  • 2 eggs
  • Braeburn apple
  • Strawberries
  • Blackberries
  • Cocoa powder
  • Milk chocolate
Basic Method
  1. Melted butter, added to eggs and sugar
  2. Mixed until homogeneous
  3. Added flour
  4. Mixed until homogeneous

Optional Modifications
  • I quartered the basic dough and bagged off the parts because I planned to make 4 different flavours.







  • I cut the fruits very finely and placed them into separate bags. For the amounts I listed above, half an apple works perfectly, half a punnet of strawberries, half a punnet of blackberries.
  • The fruits are kneaded into their doughs until the fruit is dispersed evenly in the mass


The basic recipe is ideal when mixing in cocoa powder or chocloate chips, etc. However when adding healthy, delicious and juicey fruit the mixture is too sticky and will not cook properly.
  • Knead in flour into the lumps until the gunk no longer sticks to your fingers when it is given a good squeeze (I have no idea of the amounts, it was all by touch [baby])
  • Figure to the right shows the resulting cookie doughs: top right is cocoa powder (add cocoa to the basic recipe until it is as dark as you like); bottom right is braeburn apple; bottom left is strawberry; top left is blackberry
  • Take a tea spoon and scoop out enough dough to fill it
  • Preheat the oven to 170-180 degree Celsius (443.15-453.15K)








  • Place the cookie dough scoops out on baking trays (I used 3 in rotation as the heating rates with-in the oven were not even. I placed two in a shelf each. When one of them was done, I moved the un-done one to its shelf and placed a fresh one in the vacant spot)











  • Take out the cookies when they smell like they should be eaten (or if that does not make sense to you, 7-8 minutes)
  • If the cookies are not set reasonably hard after a minute of cooling, put them pack in the oven for a bit longer








  • Finally, if you like, melt some chocolate (whatever type you please) and dip the cookies in them, if I had more preparation I would have tried to procure Liquid Nitrogen from somewhere or other to get really fast cooling of the chocolate to generate small chocolate crystals, in the hopes that it would produce tastier stuff - I'll edit this later to include some references. Leave the chocolate covered cookies in the fridge to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment